Wednesday, January 21, 2015

My hair journey thus far....

Hello world, I want you guys to get to know me a little better through my hair journey.

  Let first start off by saying, I have THICK hair! I started wearing weaves/ extensions  about ten years ago while I was studying for my cosmetology license. I learned that my hair cannot take a rinse and that I had to bleach or strip my natural hair color before I could achieve a new color. Outside of beauty school, I learned how to install sew-ins from my grandmother.
 Once I was done playing in my hair, I decided to let it grow out. My hair made it to shoulder length and noticed that my hair was shedding A LOT! So I decided to boy cut my hair and color it red. The new look worked out for me for about month, then I found out I was pregnant and decided that I didn't want all those chemicals in my hair. That didn't stop me from wearing weaves though. I wore protective styles the majority of my pregnancy.
     I after the baby, I noticed that my hair grew out to the same length before ( shoulder length). I maintained that length for about a year then.......... I cut it off again! I kept it short for about six years. during that time, I colored my hair, wore quickweaves, and braids. Whatever the trend was I had. Meanwhile, my hair was taking a big beating. I was messing up my hair, as if I had no knowledge on how to care for my hair. I preached a good talk about my hair but, I wasn't practicing it. I kept telling myself that I will just over it up by weave.
About early 2013 I called myself not using relaxers on my hair and just wearing protective styles but that short lived very quickly. I would put a relaxer in my hair and flaunt my own hair for about a week then I was back at the beauty supply buying more hair. By the summer time I went through a back breakup and decided I needed a new look. That's when I placed a permanent wine color in my hair. The color turned out great, and my hair was looking pretty healthy in a cute bob. I missed my weave so, I purchased some more hair and continued to wear protective styles and not pay attention to my own hair.  By the fall, the color faded  to brown and began to breakoff. I ignored and kept with my weaves.
  When the 2014 New Year arrived I new that I needed to give my own hair some much needed attention. Plus, it was cute hair cut that I was dying to try. So, I relaxed and cut my hair  (again) , chopping off about 90% of the damaged hair. I wore my new look for about a couple of weeks and then felt that it was too cold outside to wear my hair that short so I bought weave. This time, I didn't place any color in my hair or wore relaxers. I wasn't going natural, I just didn't care to grow through the trough of putting one in. While I was wearing my weaves, I decided to protect my hair more by using caps with my quickweaves , installing sew-ins, wearing wigs and using leave- in conditioner on my leave out.
   By this past November I noticed that my hair has really grown and that most of my hair was natural. Then I decided to officially start my natural hair journey. I still have relaxed ends and heat damage from my leave outs, so I choose to transition instead of the BC. So far, I have tons of trial and error with twist outs and flat twist. Luckily I flex rods and perm rods work best for my styles.

My journey has just begun so stay tuned..............

   

No comments:

Post a Comment